Email Facebook Twitter

Our other websites

Bookmark and Share

If you are injured

If you intend to make a complaint about police mistreatment, try to write down everything that happened to you as soon as possible. Include the names of the police officers involved, the time and date of the incident and what actually happened.

  • See a doctor immediately, and ensure that they provide you with a written medical report describing your injuries the Victorian Institute of Forensic Medicine has specifically trained doctors who can provide expert medical opinions, and free examinations by these specialist doctors will be arranged if you complain promptly.
  • Get someone to photograph any injuries.
  • Write down as much information as you can about the person or people who injured you including their name, rank and police station.
  • Write down the name of the last person to see you before you were injured and the first person to see you afterwards and get their contact details.
  • Contact the Legal Support Team or lawyer who will help you make a formal complaint. A community legal centre, Victoria Legal Aid or a progressive private lawyer can also help you to make and lodge a complaint.